Acquire a Birth Certificate

Order a Birth Certificate by Mailbabyfeet1

If you were born in Trenton Michigan, begin by downloading and filling out the Application for Certified Birth Certificate by Mail (PDF).

Next, please submit the application for certified birth certificate and a copy of your identification requirement prior to making the payment. Submit the form via email: or fax: 734-675-5262. 

Once these documents are submitted, go ahead and complete the process by submitting your payment. Click here to pay by debit or credit card.

Once we receive your forms and payment, we will process and mail your birth record request. 

If you were not born in Trenton but you were born in Michigan and would like to order a record from the State of Michigan, please visit the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

Parties Who Can Request a Copy of a Birth Record

According to Michigan Compiled Laws (MCL) 333.2882(1)(a), only the following parties are eligible to request a certified copy of a Michigan birth record that is less than 100 years old:

  • The person named on the record
  • A parent named on the record
  • A legal guardian of the person named on the record. With your mail-in application, you must include a copy of the court-appointed legal guardianship papers. Power of Attorney documents may be used, depending upon the limitations of the power of attorney order. Each will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
  • A legally licensed representative of the person named on the record. You must include with the mail-in application, a letter on your official letterhead stating who you represent and include a photocopy of your current, valid photo ID and that of the client as well.
  • An heir if the person on the record is deceased. A copy of a birth record less than 100 years old can be released to an heir of a deceased person, but you must state your relationship to the person and provide the decedent’s married name at the time of death. If the death occurred in Michigan, you will need to include the death information on the application for us to verify. If the death occurred out-of-state, you will need to provide a photocopy of the death certificate. If the death occurred out-of-the-country, you’ll need to provide a copy of the death certificate translated into English.
  • A court of competent jurisdiction that pays the required fee and supplies a court order (a Michigan court, a federal court or another jurisdiction whose laws are not in conflict with Michigan laws).

Documentation Required

Photocopy of identification. (drivers license, state identification, or passport)

We do have some alternatives that can be used to meet the photo ID requirements if a current, valid driver’s license or state ID is not available. The applicant will need to provide at least three pieces of documentation from different sources that will verify his/her name and date of birth. Some examples might be:

  • Bank statement
  • Baptismal certificate
  • Bridge card
  • Child’s birth record
  • Doctor/hospital/dentist bill
  • For persons ages 15 to 20, current student photo ID with either report card or transcript
  • Health insurance card
  • Land or rental agreement
  • Letter from government agency such as SSA or IRS
  • Marriage or divorce certificate
  • Military discharge paper
  • Numident letter from SSA
  • Paycheck stub
  • School records
  • Social Security benefit statement
  • State or Federal prison photo ID with release or discharge paper (dated within one year)
  • Utility bill
  • Voter or car registration
  • W-2

We cannot accept a Social Security card or junk mail. At least one of the alternative documents must be dated within the last year.