Trenton City Hall: 2800 Third St. Trenton, MI 48183 | Phone: (734) 675-6500 Fax: (734) 675-4088


Order a Birth Certificate by Mail

If you were born in Trenton Michigan, click on the application below.


If you were not born in Trenton but you were born in Michigan and would like to order a record from the State of Michigan Click Here.

According to MCL 333.2882(1)(a)), only the following parties are eligible to request a certified copy of a Michigan birth record that is less than 100 years old:
-The person named on the record,

-A parent named on the record,

-A legal guardian of the person named on the record. With your mail-in application, you must include a copy of the court-appointed legal guardianship papers. Power of Attorney documents may be used, depending upon the limitations of the power of attorney order. Each will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

-A legally licensed representative of the person named on the record. You must include with the mail-in application, a letter on your official letterhead stating who you represent and include a photocopy of your current, valid photo ID and that of the client as well.

-An heir if the person on the record is deceased. A copy of a birth record less than 100 years old can be released to an heir of a deceased person, but you must state your relationship to the person and provide the decedent's married name at the time of death. If the death occurred in Michigan, you will need to include the death information on the application for us to verify. If the death occurred out-of-state, you will need to provide a photocopy of the death certificate. If the death occurred out-of-the-country, you'll need to provide a copy of the death certificate translated into English.

-A court of competent jurisdiction that pays the required fee and supplies a court order (a Michigan court, a federal court or another jurisdiction whose laws are not in conflict with Michigan laws).

We do have some alternatives that can be used to meet the photo ID requirements if a current, valid driver's license or state ID is not available. The applicant will need to provide at least three pieces of documentation from different sources that will verify his/her name and date of birth. Some examples might be:

*marriage or divorce certificate

*child's birth record


*paycheck stub

*voter or car registration

*Bridge card

*health insurance card

*utility bill

*doctor/hospital/dentist bill

*baptismal certificate

*military discharge paper

*school records

*letter from government agency such as SSA or IRS

*numident letter from SSA

*Social Security benefit statement

*land or rental agreement

*bank statement

*State or Federal prison photo ID with release or discharge paper (dated within one year)

*For persons ages 15-20, current student photo ID with either report card or transcript

We cannot accept a Social Security card or junk mail. At least one of the alternative documents must be dated within the last year.