Trenton City Hall: 2800 Third St. Trenton, MI 48183 | Phone: (734) 675-6500 Fax: (734) 675-4088

FAQ Display


Q: What are the business hours for the Parks and Recreation office?

A: Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. excluding certain Holidays. Call (734) 675-7300 for more information.

Q: Where is the Parks and Recreation office located?

A: Our office is located inside the Kennedy Recreation Center, located at 3101 West Road in Trenton.


Q: What is the Refund Policy?

A: Participants wishing to withdraw from a program must request a refund prior to the beginning of the second class.

  • If you paid with a credit card, the refund will be processed back to your credit card within 3-5 business days.
  • If you paid with cash or check, a refund check will be issued to your address on file and will take approximately 3 to 4 weeks to process.

No refunds or reduction in fees will be given for classes missed by participant.

Q: What is the Cancellation Policy?

A: Trenton Parks and Recreation reserves the right to cancel any activity due to low enrollment. Every effort will be made to schedule a make-up class if class is canceled due to inclement weather or causes beyond our control.

However, if that is not possible, no partial refund will be provided. If the Trenton Public Schools are closed due to weather conditions or mechanical difficulties, programs scheduled in a school facility are canceled.

Q: What is the Photography Policy?

A: Be advised that photographs or video of groups and individuals participating in sponsored programs and events may be taken. These are sometimes used in various publications and promotional materials. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Q: Are there accommodations for persons with disabilities?

A: We are committed to support program participation by persons with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations. If you require special accommodations or have any questions or concerns, please call the Parks and Recreation office at (734) 675-7300.


Q: How often is the Buzz Magazine released?

A: "The Buzz", Trenton Parks and Recreation Magazine is published once a year by Trenton Parks and Recreation to provide residents with information on classes, programs, events and services in the community.

The magazine is hand-delivered to Trenton homes by volunteers the first week of May. This publication also includes a 12-month calendar and a comprehensive Trenton Business Directory, making it a well rounded community resource.

Copies of the magazine are available at the Kennedy Recreation Center, Westfield Center, Trenton Library, and local area businesses.

Q: How do I advertise my business in the Buzz Magazine?

A: Grow your business with "The Buzz" Magazine - your source for a year's worth of local advertising! People, places and things of interest in Trenton will be highlighted throughout the magazine, providing fun ways for families to explore the many attractions right in their own neighborhood, including your business! We offer several different advertising packages to help grow your business. The magazine will be distributed to Trenton residents the beginning of May. This yearly magazine is an excellent resource for Trenton residents by providing information on programs, events and services, as well as a comprehensive Business Directory and 12 month calendar, May - April.

Some benefits of advertising in the Buzz Magazine Include:

  • A professionally published magazine with 10,000 copies printed and distributed to your target market.
  • Complimentary business listing.
  • Featured business or event listed on one calendar page of choice (*if All Inclusive or Economy Package is chosen)
  • Be recognized as a supporter of community recreation.
  • Share in a positive return on investment through Trenton's most widely utilized publication.
  • Enjoy a special discount for Trenton Business Association members, Trenton Trib May advertisers and service organizations.

For more information and to learn about our packages and rates, please call (734) 675-7300.


Q: How do I register for an activity online?

A: If the activity is eligible for online registration, visit and follow the on-screen instructions.

Q: How do I register for an activity in-person?

A: You may register in-person at the Parks and Recreation office located inside the Kennedy Recreation Center. In-house registration hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m.- 4:45 p.m.

Registration dates are defined in the program description. We accept cash, check and credit card. Due to the popularity of some programs and events, this registration policy may be modified.


Q: What types of recreational programs are offered through the City of Trenton?

A: The Trenton Parks and Recreation department offers a vast variety of programs catered to Seniors, Adults and Youth. Every year we release our Buzz Magazine that contains different types of programs offered throughout the year. Although programs can change year to year, the typical types of programs that we offer are:

Adult/Senior: Fitness classes, adult swim, community gardening, adult hockey, tennis, golf and more!

Youth: Swim lessons, cooking classes, art classes, summer camps, ice skating, tennis, soccer, baseball/softball and much more!

To stay updated with current programs and activities, please visit our Online Registration page


Q: What types of Senior Activities are offered?

A: Trenton provides a wide range of year-round activities and services for residents age 55 and older. The Senior Adult Program operates Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. at the Westfield Activities Center located at 2700 Westfield Road, Trenton.

Types of programs offered: Adult Social Clubs, Friendship Dance Club, Game Days, Knitting & Crocheting, Trenton Travelers, Nutrition Program, Blood Pressure Screening, "AARP" Tax Assistance. (Days and times vary.)

For adult fitness classes, please visit our Online Registration page For more information, call (734) 675-0063.

Q: Do you offer Senior Transportation?

A: Trenton Transportation
Whether it's a trip to the doctor or hospital, or running errands to the bank or grocery store, Trenton Transportation, a taxi shuttle service for Trenton residents 60 years of age or older, will take you there!

Trenton Seniors who are interested in using the shuttle service must register in advance at the Westfield Office located at 2700 Westfield Road, Trenton. The service area includes Trenton and neighboring communities bounded by Vreeland to the South, Northline Road to the North, Telegraph to the West, and West Jefferson to the East.

The service is available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The cost is $3.00 each way, for every drop-off. When traveling outside the service area, an additional charge of $3 per mile will be assessed. Fees will be collected at the time of pickup. (This service excludes trips to the airport, bus, or train stations.)

For more information, call (734) 692-5632.

The Loop Shuttle Bus
Each Monday and Wednesday, the city's shuttle bus will pick up Trenton Seniors and bring them to Westfield to participate in Senior programs. The shuttle will make a 'loop' around town with stops at the Westfield Center, Kennedy Recreation Center, Library, and Trafford Square.

Shuttles to Meijer are on Mondays, Southland Mall on Wednesdays, and Kroger on the 2nd Wednesday of each month. There is a $1 fee to use the shuttle, and it serves Trenton residents only.

Please call 24 hours in advance for reservation at (734) 675-0063.


Q: When is the annual Trenton Summer Festival?

A: The Trenton Summer Festival is a 3-day event held in Downtown Trenton, June of each year. The festival contains over 100,000 visitors, over 200 artists, entertainment, craftsmen and many festival food vendors.

For more information, please visit or contact Festival Chairman Scott Barr,

Q: When do the Holiday parades take place in Trenton?

A: The City of Trenton offers 2 Holiday parades per year. The Memorial Day parade takes place in May and the Christmas Parade takes place in December.

Q: When is the Trenton City-Wide Garage Sale?

A: The Trenton City-Wide Garage Sale is held twice a year in April & August. The sales are held on Saturday & Sunday, 8am - 4pm. To stay updated with event dates and registration, please click here to visit our Special Events page.


Q: How much is an Aquatic Membership?

A: Membership pricing varies on residency, age and the quantity of family members. For an up-to-date pricing guide, please click here. (Special pricing typically offered during the Holiday Season.)

Q: How much is a Daily Aquatic Pass?

A: Ages 5+ are $5.00 per resident, $7.00 per non-resident. Ages 4 and under are free. Trenton Senior Citizens 55+ are admitted free when they show their Trenton Resident photo I.D.

Q: What benefits come with purchasing an Aquatic Membership?

A: An Aquatic Membership will give you the following benefits:

  • Unlimited access to the Kennedy Aquatic Center
  • Discounts on swim lessons (group and private)
  • Discounts on water fitness classes
  • After hours adult lap swim access
  • Priority party reservations
  • Priority aquatic center rentals
  • Priority access to all new classes
  • Up-to-date facility information
  • Access and discounts to special events
  • Discounts on concessions

Q: What are the Aquatic Center Rules and Regulations?

A: For your safety and the safety of others, the following rules and regulations have been established in accordance with State Pool Regulations. Failure to comply or to follow staff directives will result in disciplinary action and or removal from the facility. The City reserves the right to rule on any matter not specifically stated in the rules & regulations.

  • All swimmers must have a wristband issued by the Aquatic Center staff prior to entering the pool.
  • Capacity is limited to 1,000 patrons. The Aquatic Center may be closed at the Supervisor's or Headguard's discretion due to inclement weather, capacity or unusual circumstances.
  • Smoking, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages or drugs, or persons under the influence of alcoholic beverages or drugs, are not permitted.
  • Patrons may NOT bring any food (including gum) or beverages (including water bottles) on the pool deck.
  • Patrons may purchase food & beverage at the Aquatic Center Concession Stand and may only consume those items inside the designated concession area. For safety reasons, NO GLASS containers food or beverages are allowed. Food brought from home may be consumed in the designated picnic area only.
  • For the safety of all patrons, backpacks, duffel bags & personal coolers may NOT be brought onto the pool deck. These items may be left in lockers in the locker rooms and inside the Kennedy Recreation Center.
  • Running on pool deck and horseplay are not permitted.
  • All swimmers must take a shower before entering the pool. Lined bathing suits are required. Cutoffs & colored T-shirts may not be worn. Swim pants are required for swimmers that are not toilet trained. Only aqua socks may be worn in the pool. Sunscreen lotion may be worn, oil based products are not permissible.
  • We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
  • Face masks, swim fins, snorkels, flotation toys and water wings are not permitted. Life jackets are available to patrons of the facility and inner tubes are available for rent at the cashier booth. Personal flotation devices that are Coast Guard approved (Type II and Type III) may be brought in the facility once it has been inspected by the Headguard on duty. Life jackets are not permitted on the slide.
  • Radios & TVs are not permitted on the pool deck.
  • Swimming is only permitted when lifeguards are on duty. Diving is only permitted off of the diving boards.
  • During "BREAK" (10 minutes, 15 minutes if heat index is 90˚ or above) adults only are allowed in the pool.
  • Private swim lessons are not permitted during open swimming, unless city sponsored.
  • Only lifeguards are permitted on the guard stands.

Q: Do you offer After Hours Adult Lap Swim?

A: For adults 18+, the pool will remain open for adult lap swim from 7-8 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays for members only. Show your membership card for access. Weather and special event permitting.


Q: What types of activities take place at KRC?

A: Our facility is comprised of over 150,000 square feet of indoor recreational opportunities including 3 NHL size ice arenas, skate rental, meeting room, spacious team locker rooms, full concession and a spacious lobby and gathering area. KRC is home to 4 area high school teams, the premier MIHL Prep Hockey Showcase, Trenton & Grosse Ile Youth Hockey Associations, MSE Adult Hockey, Downriver Hockey Academy, Trenton Figure Skating & Playmaker II Proshop!

Q: How do I become a sponsor at the Kennedy Recreation Center?

A: Maximize the marketing potential at the Kennedy Recreation Center, where thousands of people, representing all age groups, visit on a daily basis. Combine your marketing dollars for exposure at multiple locations such as the Elizabeth Park Marina and Outdoor Aquatic Center and receive discounts. Call us at (734) 675-7300 to see what package is best for you!

Q: How do I book a private event or rent ice?

A: If you're looking for a unique special event, private ice rental, or a fun place to hold a birthday party, you've come to the right place! Call us at (734) 675-7300 for more information and let us help you plan your next event!

Q: How can I sign my child up for hockey?

A: Trenton and Grosse Ile Hockey Associations both skate out of our facility. Each association has beginner programs for new skaters! Registration information and contacts can be found on either of their websites at or

Q: What is the MIHL Prep Hockey Showcase?

A: The City of Trenton and the Michigan Interscholastic Hockey League combined efforts each year to bring you the Annual MIHL Prep Hockey Showcase. The Top 42 High School Hockey Teams in the Mid-West including teams from Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio and Indiana will show you what hockey is all about.

Over three days, each team will play two games and showcase their talents in front of the best professional, college and junior hockey scouts. This event is possible by tremendous community support and we are always looking to add to our volunteer base. Call us at (734) 675-7300 and come join the fun!

Q: What is the Learn to Skate Program?

A: The Learn to Skate USA program makes skating fun and safe as kids grow an everlasting love for the sport. Through the L2S updated curriculum and certified, passionate instructors, L2S builds solid skill progression to grow self-esteem in kids while providing them the resources to reach their hopes and dreams.

Kids must be at least 3 years of age to begin the L2S program. The program pricing varies depending on residency and skill level. Each session lasts 6 weeks with various times and days to choose from.

Registrants are required to pay a $16 USFS fee which is good for one year before registering for any skate program. Please visit to pay the annual fee and receive your Membership # which will be required each time you register for a skate program. Please click here to view available programs!

Q: What is Jamboree on Ice?

A: The Jamboree on Ice is Downriver's longest running ice show and displays the talents of all ice skaters, ages ranging from 3 - 99. You will be able to see amazing jumps and precision synchronized skating. Tickets are available at the Trenton Kennedy Recreation Center Office beginning in mid-March. We look forward to seeing everyone there!


Q: What are the City Parks regulations and public hours?

A: Trenton's park system offers a variety of activities for residents, plus a place for families to gather for picnics and other outdoor activities. To ensure safety and enjoyment, please adhere to the following rules.

  • City Parks are open to the public from 6 a.m. - 10 p.m. Only persons receiving special permission from Trenton City Council may remain in park after hours.
  • Motor vehicles are permitted in designated parking areas only. Vehicles in unauthorized areas will be removed and/or impounded by Trenton Police.
  • Dogs must be on a leash not more than 6 ft. in length.
  • City ordinance prohibits interfering with animals or nests in City Parks, engaging in sports, games etc. in other than designated areas, offering articles for sale in City Parks, littering on public or private property, and riding horses, mules or ponies in City Parks.
  • Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in City Parks unless a permit has been issued upon written request.

Q: What is the Adopt-a-Park Program?

A: Calling all groups, organizations, neighbors, businesses and individuals! Show your community pride by adopting one of Trenton's 20 municipal parks! This stewardship program is in direct response to the results of Trenton Parks and Recreation Community survey, in which an overwhelming number of responders were in favor of developing an "Adopt-a-Park" program to help sustain Trenton's parks with community involvement.

If you are interested in more information, please contact (734) 675-7300.

Q: Where are your parks located within the City?

A: Please click here to view a map of our Parks & Facilities located within the City of Trenton.

Q: What is the Loan Closet?

A: Do you or someone you know have a need for crutches, walkers or wheelchairs? Trenton provides such medical equipment on a loan basis to those who are in need. A nominal deposit and proof of residency is require. Contact the Westfield Activities Center at (734) 675-0063 or stop by the facility located at 2700 Westfield Road, Trenton.

Q: Are shelters available in Emergency Situations?

A: If emergency events result in enough residents unable to stay in their homes, shelters will be open and managed by the city and organizations in accordance with the City's Emergency Operations Plan. Location and transportation option notification will be done by radio, TV, cable TV, and/or city employees. Let someone know your plans and bring items such as glasses, medicines, and quiet games for children. All are welcome.

Q: Do you offer vehicle storage facilities?

A: Thanks to a reciprocal agreement between Trenton and Woodhaven, Trenton residents can now utilize Woodhaven's Recreation Vehicle Storage facility at resident rates. Space is limited. For more information contact Woodhaven's Public Service Department at (734) 675-4919.

Q: Does Trenton have a public library?

A: Yes. Our Veteran's Memorial Library, located at 2790 Westfield Road in Trenton, covers 21,000 square feet making it capable of increasing its book collection to over 90,000 volumes. Patrons have access to internet, electronic information, increased programming for children and access to Trenton's historical documents. The building is designed to adapt to future changes in library technology. For over seventy years Trenton has provided a library to the community. As the new millennium approaches, Trenton can take pride in continuing its heritage and tradition of providing quality library services.

Library hours are Monday - Thursday, 10am - 9pm, Friday & Saturday, 10am - 6pm and Sundays 1pm - 5pm. For more information, call (734) 676-9777.

Q: What is the Trenton Village Theatre?

A: The Trenton Village Theatre, located at 2447 West Jefferson, is home to the Downriver Youth Performing Arts Center. As part of a lease agreement with the City of Trenton, DYPAC has assumed management responsibilities for the 350 seat theatre. DYPAC, is a non-profit youth theatre organization for children ages 5-19. DYPAC's goal is the positive development of young people through experiences in the Arts. DYPAC offers several full productions per year, morning workshops and a summer arts program.

Interested in renting the Theatre for your next event or fundraiser? Call (734) 673-9507 or visit

Q: How do I rent the Trenton Cultural Center?

A: Make your next event magical! Decorated in Victorian style, this renovated, historic farm house provides an intimate setting, perfect for your next gathering! Whether you are hosting a small business meeting over morning coffee, celebrating a special occasion such as a shower, birthday or graduation or planning an open house, the Cultural Center offers all the comforts of home. Please click here to learn more about renting the Trenton Cultural Center or to print a rental application.




Dept. Contacts

  • Director
    Joann Gonyea, CPRP
    Phone: (734) 675-7300
  • Business Ops. Manager
    Tim Beaker
    Phone: (734) 675-7300
  • Facilities Ops. Coordinator
    Nick Taurence
    Phone: (734) 675-7300
  • Senior Citizen Coordinator
    Carol Garrison
    Phone: (734) 675-0063
  • Program Coordinator
    Hannah Wojtala
    Phone: (734) 675-7300
  • Administrative
    Melissa Pruitt
    Phone: (734) 675-7300
  • Assistant
    Kristy Olszewski
    Phone: (734) 675-7300