Recreational Fire Policy
- Backyard fires in an open pit are allowed without a permit as long as they are less than 3ft in diameter and 2ft in height. They must also be 25ft from any structure or combustible material.
- If it is in a commercially available model such as an enclosed outdoor fireplace or screened fire pit, the distance from structures and combustibles is reduced to 15ft. (up to the officer's discretion)
- The fire shall be supervised AT ALL TIMES until extinguished. You must have either a portable fire extinguisher, a garden hose or sand on hand for extinguishment.
- Only fire wood will be allowed to be burned. The burning of leaves, grass, paper, refuse and old building material is strictly prohibited.
- Any burning that causes noxious smoke, toxic odor, or smoke of significant quantity or quality to be released so as to inhibit the use and enjoyment of neighboring property is hereby declared a nuisance and is strictly prohibited. If the fire department responds the responding officer has the authority to have the fire extinguished.
Trenton Fire Department